Overview: Introduction and Definition of Dust
There is nowhere that dust cannot be found in the house. Insidiously, it creeps into every corner of our homes, settling on the chair, tables, electronic devices and more. It’s just an expectation that never fail, no matter how tight our doors are shut or how much we wipe and clean, in the next few minutes dust will settle back in.
Wikipedia refers to dust as fine particles of matter formed from soil, dust lifted by weather, volcanic disturbance, and pollution.” Others sources include sand storms, industrial emission, open fire burning etc.
After they are formed they saturate the atmosphere. Dusts are more prevalent in hot regions especially during summer or dry season.
Also Important to note is that dust found indoor are mixed up with pollen, mold spores, animal hairs, burnt matter, vehicle exhumes, burnt debris, human hairs and all other manner of environmental pollutants. Altogether they slip through openings in our home, float around the air then settle on anything and everything. Over time, they cause or lead to health problems.
Health Risk Associated with Accumulated Dust in a Home
- It triggers asthmatic attacks for asthma patients.
- It contributes to bronchitis and emphysema lung diseases.
- Leads to irritation and redness of the eyes
- Causes sneezing, coughing and catarrh and a general discomfort
- It contributes to cardiovascular or heart disease
- Dust particles settling on the skin for long, can lead to skin irritations and problems.
Effective ways to control dust in the home
A major way to reduce dust is by consistent sweeping, vacuuming, dusting and cleaning. This process is however quite tedious and not a definite solution in itself. If you want to nip dust hazard from the bud is to ensure that they are sucked out of the air before they find time to settle down. This can be achieved with the use of air purifiers.
An Air purifier is an electronic device that cleans the air. It is made of up different filters and a mechanism which enables it to suck in the air around and purify it from all air pollutants before releasing it back into circulation.
Air purifiers nip dust problems right in the bud, leaving your air dust free and your properties sparkling clean. Below is a review of air purifier for this purpose.
Five Air Purifiers That Fight Dust In The Home Reviews
1. Surround Air Intelli-Pro XJ-3800 7-in-1 Intelligent Air Purifier
This air purifier is encompassed with great features. It has a Diagnostics monitor that detects the type/amount of air pollutants circulating in your air, while the auto mode feature automatically adjusts the purifier settings to deal with the issue.
There are also7 different filters adding a plus to this unit. Each uniquely working towards the eradication of all air pollutants, not only dust mite. These filters include:
- Electrostatic Dust Collector
- True HEPA Filter
- Activated Carbon Filter
- Photocatalytic Filter
- Germicidal UV Lamp
- Negative Ion Generator
Other amazing features:
- Quiet operation even on high settings.
- Smart sensor technology for accurate detection and energy conservation.
- Designed with multiple air inlets for effective air intake, purification and dispersion.
- The electrostatic dust collector filter cell is washable instead of replacing.
Back up Warranty
30-day risk-free guarantee and 3 year warranty on defects in materials and workmanship.
2. Honeywell HFD-120-Q QuietClean Tower Air Purifier
This air purifier from Honeywell features a permanent pre-filter and a HEPAClean filter that tackles all air contaminants with a 99% efficiency, even those as small as 0.3 microns. It is acclaimed to capture up to 18 times more pollutants than other ionic air purifiers and effectively circulates the air for up to 5 times an hour.
Other features include:
- It has electronic filter check indicator for reminder when filter needs to be cleaned. The filters are budget friendly as they often need washing and not replacement
- It had a LED control for your convenience.
- Three speed settings (low medium, high)
- Whisper quiet operation
3. Advanced Pure Air Newport 9000 Air Purifier
The advanced pure air purifier features a 9-stage purification process that detects, filters and purifies the air from all air pollutants, allergens, odour and smoke. It has other high tech functions for easy maintenance, usage and control.
Its features include:
- It works in a space up to 800sq. ft.
- Automatic operations: it has dust and odor sensors which detects the presence of such in the environment and acts accordingly. There is also a remote for manual operation and Filter replacement indicators.
- It features an Ultra-quiet 5-speed fan that effectively moves and cleanses the air.
- Has HEPA filter for the 99.97% of effective filtration and Activated carbon for the removal of odor causing bacteria
- Accessibility/control: Easy to read LCD control panel; and 4 mode automatic on/off timer function.
- Its technology also enables for automatic self-adjustments based on prevalent air quality. All these make this air purifier from Newport a great buy. It is convenience and functionality in one unit.
4. Austin Air B400B1 Standard Unit Healthmate Air Purifier
This black beauty is an all-in-one Air purifier designed to effectively eliminate microns, gases, chemicals, dust, allergens etc. floating around your air with intent to harm. Its body is built to accommodate the intake of air from all corners, while the 4-stage filtration process makes it healthy for breathing and dispersed to the atmosphere. It can be used in homes and offices of up to 1500 sq. ft. space.
Other features include:
- Easy access control on its body.
- It is designed as a 360-degree intake system for maximum coverage
- 4-stage filtration process inclusive of HEPA filter, pre-filter and activated carbon.
5. Advanced Pure Air Newport ‘Ultra’ Air Purifier
This is another product from Advanced Pure Air, a recognized manufacturer of quality air purifiers. Also, its design is top notch with technological advancement that ensures stress free operation and a modern look that matches the décor of your home up to 1200 sq. ft.
Some of its amazing features include:
- It filters, diagnose and purifies the air in a 9-stage filtration process including HEPA filters, Activated Carbon and UV light irradiation controls include: LCD control screen and wireless remote control
- It has Air-quality sensors responsible for adjusting the unit to suit the air quality in the home
- There are high performance multi-speed fan
- The unit is low on energy consumption
- Night operating mode is also available
- Magnetic latch front faceplate makes it easy for the removal of filters for cleaning or replacement.
- Pre- filter, electrostatic dust collector are easily washable, saving you cost and time
Don’t thin dust is only natural occurring and not exactly harmful; research has shown that they are one of the culprits in respiratory and lung diseases. But with an Air purifier, you are covered on all front – dust, allergens, pollen, mold spores, pet dander, smoke, odor etc. the air in your home is made clean for inhaling so you can have the healthy life you deserve. This article reviewed five Air purifiers that are good enough for your home.